Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Long Forgotten DREAM


Today is the 5th day since our last day of school. Yes that's right, I'm a student... again!


It's been almost 5 years now since my college graduation, and here I am, back to student life. Exactly 1 year and 1 month ago, I was working in my desk, when I suddenly decided to take up law. Actually, I've always wanted to study law since I was in 2nd year high school. I remember it was my and Daddy's secret dream. We were in our car one day, Daddy was fetching me from school. I forgot how it started, but we were talking about my future. I told him I wanted to work in an office, so he suggested I take up Accountancy. It's a good course, he said. Then it's even better if you take up law after that, you'd be a Corporate Lawyer, Daddy said smiling. I liked the sound of it, so I told him that's what I want. And that was the day when Dad and I secretly dreamed of me becoming a lawyer.

But they say, things tend to change as we grow older. When I graduated from college, I was so eager to work and earn on my own that I forgot all about law school. I was young, carefree and stupid to think that having a job, any job, was fulfilling and exciting. Plus, I had this silly illusion that it would be great to finally be independent. And so I immediately grab the very first opportunity that came, and it was a job as Reservations and Ticketing staff of Asiana Airlines in Cebu. I remember it so well, I was so excited especially when I saw our office, my desk, my computer, my very own set of office supplies, complete down to the last post its. I was like a kid in a candyworld, so amazed about everything.

Days became weeks, and weeks became months. Before I knew it, I was already working for 2 years. Then one day, I finally reflected about my life. I was happy with my job, no matter how demanding it is. But I wasn't contented, I felt like there is something more out there than this. I felt like this is not what I want to do for the rest of my life. On that note, I decided to quit my job and try to apply to other companies. I decided to look outside the travel industry. Around 2 months after, I found myself hired by NCR Corporation, it's a US-based IT and Manufacturing company. I worked there as a customer service representative. We follow US business hours, and so, being at the other side of the world, I have to work in a graveyard shift, from 8pm to 5am Mondays to Fridays.

It was a great job, the pay was good, the work was challenging, and the colleagues are all cool and very friendly. In general, it was the best working environment notwithstanding the fact that we were like nocturnal creatures, asleep at day and awake at night. I was happy working there, and would have still be until now if not for another twist that came into my life. After about 1 year and 3 months working in NCR, I again had that very familiar feeling. I was trying to ignore it at first, but later on, it grew stronger until I finally accepted and said to myself, "Here I go again!". I was not contented, an inner voice kept on whispering "Really? Is that it? Is that what you really wanted to do for the rest of your life?".

It was April 6, 2009 ( I could never forget that date) when I had a chance to chat with a college classmate of mine. She told me she just graduated from law and will be taking the bar exam September of that year. And then it suddenly hit me, I want to take up law! It was my long forgotten dream, a dream that Daddy and I shared. No wonder I was never contented, that no matter how I tried to enjoy life, I always feel like there's something I'm missing out. It only took me 5 seconds to decide, I'm going to study law the very next opening of classes, and that's June.

It was an amazing feeling, like I just suddenly know what to do, the pieces got suddenly connected to form a whole. The very next day, I was searching the internet and phonebook for law schools in Cebu. Then I called up 2 of them, University of San Carlos (USC) and University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJR). I asked for entrance exam schedules and requirements. I got very excited, it felt right. I told my Mom and sisters about it, they were so supportive and I was very happy. I have to add, I'm so lucky to have them in my life. My original plan was to study law and still keep my job. The only way I could do that is to take the executive classes, only Saturdays and Sundays. And only USJR offers that schedule. So I went there, took the entrance exam, passed, and started to inquire for the requirements. When I asked for the study load, they told me I have to take summer classes, it was in the curriculum for executive class. I asked when it will start so that I could get the requirements and enroll, then the guy looked at me and said, "Tomorrow is the 1st day of the summer class." My eyes got wide in shock, "Tomorrow? Why didn't you tell me earlier, I still have to prepare requirements for enrollment!" I got so pissed and walked out without ever glancing back. I was so disappointed. I got home and started to rethink my options. I decided to take up regular classes, and the best school to enroll is USC. Now my problem was the conflict of schedule. Regular law classes in USC start at 5:30pm and ends at 8:30pm Monday to Friday, and 1:30pm to 5:30pm on Saturday, while my job is from 8pm to 5am. I was having a hard time thinking how I'm going to go about it.

My Mother solved that problem for me. She told me to quit work, and be a full-time law student. It was never my plan to quit my job, I love what I was doing, plus I didn't want to bother my family for financial support. But Mom told me it was best to focus on my studies, she said it would not be healthy if I go to school at night and then work afterwards till early morning. She told me I can never study well with that lifestyle, and I could get sick for lack of rest.

May 29, 2009 was my last day of working at NCR. We were having a despedida party at the office, my officemates gave me souvenirs or remembrance. One is a large paper with messages from everybody, and the other one was a huge frame with our pictures in it. They're so sweet and thoughtful. It was very heartwarming and I felt so sad to leave. Nevertheless, I moved on, got enrolled in law school, and here I am today, I have just finished my first year of law in USC. Hopefully, if God permit, I will be in my second year this coming June. And if I may add, I've never felt this contented and happy to be finally living my dream.

That's the story of my journey to realizing that our dreams or goals in life will really haunt us when we forget about them. No matter how we try to enjoy life, at the end of the day, we feel that annoying vibe of discontentment and dissatisfaction. When we start to accept that feeling, and finally do something about it, things will fall into the right places.

So if there's something bothering you, think hard, reflect and try to remember what you have been forgetting, what you have been ignoring. You might be surprised what it can do to your life. Don't be scared to explore your options, it's never too late to turn to a new direction, or take the twist of fate. Remember, life is too short and you don't get to have a second one.







2 comments:

  1. hi Gee! found you! =))

    Im so happy for you.. living your dream ahh~~ can't wait for you to become Atty Geraldee France Cloma =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deal with this kind of emptiness everyday, Ger, but I have to make sacrifices for the sake of my family and my future. Besides, the ultimate reason for all my plans is for my family. So I set my sights on where the path leads rather than the journey itself. :)

    ReplyDelete